10 Tips for Managing Stress
Stress can be caused by many things in your life. Pressures from work, the family, social commitments and other everyday events are a big cause of stress for many people. In addition to these everyday small stressors you may experience some kind of major event that totally changes your life.
Some individuals react well to change and do not feel any additional stress as a result of the change however there are some people that find it hard to cope with changes in their life and it is these people that are prone to stress.
Even changes that are seen as positive such as getting married or moving to a bigger home can be turned into negative events because of the stress that they cause.
Stress Management Techniques
There are numerous techniques that experts recommend for relieving the symptoms of stress. You should try a variety of these techniques to see which is right for you.
1. Talk about your worries – you may see an upcoming change as a negative point in your life however when seen from a fresh perspective it might become a positive; for example being made redundant is a negative change but this might give you the opportunity to find a better job and earn more money.
2. Exercise – the physical effects of activities such as jogging, walking, and cycling can relieve the feelings of stress. Chemicals released in the brain during exercise produce a ‘feel good’ mood.
3. Learn biofeedback – this is a relaxation method in which you learn to consciously control your breathing rate and heart rate so that stressful situations do not elicit a major physiological reaction.
4. Take up a new hobby – find something that you really enjoy doing and make it into a hobby. Join a group so that you can socially interact with people who have the same passions.
5. Join a Yoga class – yoga is one of the oldest forms of relaxation known to man. People have been practicing yoga for thousands of years which proves it worth. You can learn yoga at home if you don’t fancy doing it socially.
6. Learn self-hypnosis – self-hypnosis allows you to imagine yourself in your ideal place with no stresses or worries. You will have to learn from a professional but the results are worth the practice.
7. Learn Progressive Muscle Relaxation – this is another relaxation technique in which you consciously contract a specific muscle group while inhaling and then fully relaxing the muscles while exhaling. The end result is that the whole body becomes completely tension-free.
8. Practice the Relaxation Response – this relaxation technique concentrates your thoughts on your breathing. Each time you exhale you imagine yourself physically relaxing a part of your body. This is very good for calming the mind and forgetting the stresses of the day.
9. Transcendental Meditation – this is for people who are serious about meditation and relaxation. The aim is to allow the mind to move to a higher level so that all thoughts become suspended and the worries of life become forgotten.
10. Attend an artistic therapy class – this can include dancing, theatre, painting, drawing and even poetry classes. Choose something that you have always wanted to do but have never gotten around to trying. The aim is to produce pieces of art that boost your self-confidence and self-worth.
It doesn’t matter which type of stress relief method you choose because they will all work to some degree however some people will prefer physical activities such as dance or exercise whereas others will prefer meditation and relaxation techniques. Find what works for you and have fun doing it.
Performance coaching for busy executives is a great way to improve your productivity and performance while reducing and managing stress.
If you want to learn how to become a life coach, just follow the link to a great resource website.
Warning: Stress symptoms can be associated with serious medical conditions. The stress management information and techniques in this section are provided as general guidelines for informational purposes only. You should seek the help of qualified medical professionals if you have health or mental concerns over stress. You should also consult with your health care provider before making major changes in your diet or exercise levels.
Get your FREE Productivity Start-Up Kit today and start on your journey to better time management and increased productivity!
The Kit includes:
» 7 time management secrets of very productive people
» 50 Practical Time Savers special report
» Ten Deadly Productivity Killers... and How to Avoid Them
» Goals to Action newsletter
Effexis Software makes a terrific personal time management software system called Achieve Planner that is based on these principles.
If you've been looking for a tool to help you get organized, increase your productivity, and work more effectively, give it a try free for 30-days.