We all find certain times in our lives to be stressful, making it difficult for us to truly relax and unwind from our troubles. Learning to relax during stressful times is critical to maintaining our physical and emotional well being.
This article describes several stress management techniques that can give you immediate stress relief. While these are good techniques for short term relief of your stress, it is a good idea to consider a broader range of stress management strategies.
Experts in stress management suggest that we all have different ways of dealing with the stress that comes our way. Below you'll find several strategies to help you relax when you find yourself overstressed.
Give them all a try and then stick with the ones that prove most effective for you.
1. Use the Relaxation Response – The relaxation response is a technique discovered by Dr. Herbert Benson of Harvard University that has a powerful calming effect.
2. Practice Breathing Techniques – Focusing on your breathing and practicing various breathing techniques can also provide immediate stress relief.
3. Progressive Muscle Relaxation – Progressive muscle relaxation is another stress management technique that can provide immediate relief.
4. Get Some Exercise – Exercise is a wonderful and natural technique for stress relief. Take a brisk walk or go for a bicycle ride. Focus on the activity at hand and how your body feels when you’re moving. You’ll get rid of some pent up stress and your brain will release endorphins, your body’s natural high.
5. Do some physical labor – Much like exercising, doing some physical work around the house can actually be relaxing, because it releases stress and gives us a chance to work on something different. So, plant a garden or clean up a room. Your home will look better, and you’ll feel better.
6. Do Something You Enjoy – Anything that you really enjoy doing can help you relax, but often we get so caught up in our work and other responsibilities that we fail to leave time for things that we find fun. So, play some chess, knit a sweater, or play a round of golf.
7. Read – When you get involved in the plot of a
novel, you temporarily forget all about the problems in your
life. It can be very beneficial to your stress level to get lost
in someone else’s life for a little while.
8. Meditate – Many people find great relief with a form of meditation. Learn techniques for putting your mind in an altered state, so that your problems disappear for a while. You’ll emerge from your meditation session relaxed and energized at the same time.
9. Take a vacation – When you talk to the most stressed out people you know, you’ll often find that they haven’t taken a real vacation in years. Time away from our everyday life and daily responsibilities is crucial to being able to handle these tasks the rest of the time. So, be sure that you’re taking at least one real vacation every year.
10. Learn to separate work and home - The people who can leave work at work are much more successful at relaxing at home. Use your commute time as a time to “switch gears”. Make final mental notes about what you need to do tomorrow, so that you can leave them until tomorrow without feeling like you neglected anything. Then, begin to turn your thoughts toward home, your family and the relaxing dinner and evening you have planned. Then, when you get home, focus only on your private life.
11. Have a support system – Talk out your feelings and frustrations with someone you trust. You’ll be surprised how verbalizing your issues and knowing that someone heard what you had to say will help you let go of what’s bugging you.
All of us are under a great deal of stress each and every day. Take the time to make sure that you are giving yourself ample time to relax every day to make sure you are ready and able to handle whatever comes your way.
Performance coaching for busy executives is a great way to improve your productivity and performance while reducing and managing stress.
If you want to learn how to become a life coach, just follow the link to a great resource website.
Warning: Stress symptoms can be associated with serious medical conditions. The stress management information and techniques in this section are provided as general guidelines for informational purposes only. You should seek the help of qualified medical professionals if you have health or mental concerns over stress. You should also consult with your health care provider before making major changes in your diet or exercise levels.
Get your FREE Productivity Start-Up Kit today and start on your journey to better time management and increased productivity!
The Kit includes:
» 7 time management secrets of very productive people
» 50 Practical Time Savers special report
» Ten Deadly Productivity Killers... and How to Avoid Them
» Goals to Action newsletter
Effexis Software makes a terrific personal time management software system called Achieve Planner that is based on these principles.
If you've been looking for a tool to help you get organized, increase your productivity, and work more effectively, give it a try free for 30-days.