The feeling of being stressed out is common to nearly everybody as very few individuals manage to go through life without facing at least one stressful situation.
A change in your circumstances is often the initial cause of stress however little everyday factors can build on this until you permanently feel on edge and anxious.
For example, you may get a promotion at work which produces the initial stress i.e. you might have more work to do or more people to supervise.
On top of this the everyday problems associated with the new job can cause your stress levels to steadily rise until you find it hard to stay in control.
Being stressed out is not healthy and so steps should be taken on a daily basis to combat any stress before it gets the chance to build up and have a damaging effect.
Useful Stress Relievers
1. Eat healthily and drink plenty of water – by eating a healthy balanced diet your body will receive all of the anti-stress vitamins and minerals it needs. Water will help to combat dehydration as this causes fatigue which in turn adds to the feeling of stress.
2. Take daily exercise – even if you only have a stroll in the park or go swimming with the children, exercise causes the brain to release endorphins which are the bodies ‘feel good’ chemicals. In addition by getting fit and active you can reduce the physical effects that stress places on the body.
3. Have a few early nights – tiredness builds up over a period of weeks which gradually decreases your resistance to stress and stress-related illnesses. Catching up on lost sleep is essential for maintaining health and well-being.
4. Avoid stimulating drugs and alcohol – stimulating drugs such as caffeine can add to your already high stress levels by exciting the nervous system even further. Alcohol has a depressing effect on the nervous system which may alleviate the symptoms of stress in the short-term. However when the effects wear off the stress will still be there.
5. Learn a relaxation method – this can be yoga, deep relaxing breathing, progressive muscle relaxation or self- hypnosis. Chose one that you feel comfortable doing and will be happy doing everyday. All you need is a quiet area to practice in and some spare time at the start or end of each day.
Depending on which technique you chose, you may be able to practice it in the office or in the car; in fact whenever you feel the need to.
In today’s society it is virtually impossible to be completely unaffected by stress and so in order to cope long-term you need to find a way to release the tension and de-stress.
Performance coaching for busy executives is a great way to improve your productivity and performance while reducing and managing stress.
If you want to learn how to become a life coach, just follow the link to a great resource website.
Warning: Stress symptoms can be associated with serious medical conditions. The stress management information and techniques in this section are provided as general guidelines for informational purposes only. You should seek the help of qualified medical professionals if you have health or mental concerns over stress. You should also consult with your health care provider before making major changes in your diet or exercise levels.
Get your FREE Productivity Start-Up Kit today and start on your journey to better time management and increased productivity!
The Kit includes:
» 7 time management secrets of very productive people
» 50 Practical Time Savers special report
» Ten Deadly Productivity Killers... and How to Avoid Them
» Goals to Action newsletter
Effexis Software makes a terrific personal time management software system called Achieve Planner that is based on these principles.
If you've been looking for a tool to help you get organized, increase your productivity, and work more effectively, give it a try free for 30-days.